This colourful and tasty lasagna has layers of sliced eggplants and vegetables in tomato sauce,all topped with a rich cheese sauce.
- 1 eggplant,sliced
- olive oil 3 tbsp
- 2 garlic cloves,crushed
- 1 red onion,halved and sliced
- 3 mixed bell peppers,seeded and diced
- ½lb/2lb25g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 celery stalks,sliced
- 1 zucchini,diced
- chilli powder ½ tsp
- ground cumin ½ tsp
- 2 tomatoes,chopped
- crushed tomatoes 1¼ cups
- chopped basil 2 tbsp
- 8 no-precook lasagna Verde sheets
- salt and pepper
- cheese sauce
- butter or margarine 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp flour
- vegetable bouillon 2/3 cup
- grated cheddar cheese 1¼ cup
- dijon mustard 1 tsp
- chopped basil 1 tbsp
- 1 egg beaten
1. place the eggplant slices in a colander,sprinkle them with salt,and let stand for 20 minutes. Rinse under cold running water ,drain and reserve.
2. heat the oil in a pan and saute the garlic and onion for 1-2 minutes add the bell peppers,mushrooms,celery ,and zucchini and cook,stirring constantly,for 3-4 minutes.
3. stir in the spices and cook for 1 minute. mix in the chopped tomatoes,crushed tomatoes,and basil and season to taste with salt and pepper .
4. for the sauce ,melt the butter in a pan , stir in the flour ,and cook for 1 minute.remove from the heat ,stir in the bouillon and milk , return to the heat ,and add half the cheese and all the mustard. boil stirring , until thickened.stir in the basil.remove from the heat and stir in the egg.
5. place half the lasagna sheets in an ovenproof dish.top with half the vegetable mixture then half the eggplants. repeat the layers and spoon the cheese sauce over the top.
6. sprinkle the lasagna with the remaining cheese and cook in a preheated oven,350°F/180°C,for 40 minutes ,until the top is golden -brown.
547 total views, 1 views today