- 1 large or 2 medium firm fish like bass or grouper scaled and cleaned
- 1 fresh banana leaf
- 30ml/2tbsp rice wine
- 3 red chilies seeded and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2cm/¾in piece fresh root ginger finely shredded
- 2 stalks lemongrass, crushed and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, Chopped
- 30ml/2 tbsp fish sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- for the chili sauce
- 10 red chilies, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, Chopped
- 60ml/4tbsp fish sauce
- 15ml/1 tbsp sugar
- 75ml/5 tbsp lime juice
1. Rinse the fish under cold running water pat dry with kitchen paper. with a sharp knife, slash the skin of the fish a few times on both sides.
2. place the fish on a banana leaf mix together all the remaining ingredients and spread over the fish
3. place a small upturned plate in the bottom of a wok and 5cm/2m boiling water place a banana leaf on a top lift the banana leaf, together with the fish and place on the plate or rack cover with a lid and steam for about 10-15 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
4. place all the chili sauce ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth you may need to add a little cold water.
5. serve the fish hot, on the banana leaf if liked with the sweet chili sauce to spoon over the top
281 total views, 1 views today