spicy Meat filled parcels
In Indonesia, the spicy Meat-filled parcels gossamer dough is made for Martabak.You can achieve equally good results using ready-made filo pastry or spring roll wrappers.
- 1lb lean minced beef
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 small leeks, very
- finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, dry-fried and ground
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, dry-fried and ground
- 1-2 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 14oz packet filo pastry
- 3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- light soy sauce, to serve
spicy Meat-filled parcels
1. To make the filling, mix the meat with the onions, leeks, garlic, coriander, cumin, curry powder, and seasoning. Turn into o a heated wok, without oil, and stir all the time, until the meat has changed color and looks cooked about 5 minutes.
2. Allow to cool and then mix in enough beaten egg to bind to a soft consistency. Any leftover egg can be used to seal the edges of the dough; otherwise, use milk.
3. Brush a sheet of filo with oil and lay another sheet on top. Cut the sheets in half. Place a large spoonful of the filling on each double piece of filo. Fold the sides to the middle so that the edges just overlap. Brush these edges with either beaten egg or milk and fold the other two sides to the middle in the same way, so that you now have a square parcel shape. Make sure that the parcel is as flat as possible, to speed cooking. Repeat with the remaining fifteen parcels and place on a floured tray in the fridge.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a shallow pan and cook several parcels at a time, depending on the size of the pan. Cook for 3 minutes on the first side and then turn them over and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until heated through. Cook the remaining parcels in the same way and serve hot, sprinkled with light soy sauce.
5. If preferred, these spicy parcels can be cooked in a hot oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 for 20 minutes. Glaze with more beaten egg before baking for a rich, golden color.
977 total views, 1 views today