cornmeal -coated spicy seafood when made hence the name for this tasty spicy cajun popcorn snack served with a delicious basil mayonnaise.
- 900g/2lb raw crayfish tails, peeled, or small prawns, peeled and deveined
- 2 eggs
- 250ml/8fl oz /1cup dry white wine 50g/2oz /½ cup fine cornmeal (or plain flour, if not available)
- 50g/2oz/½ cup plain flour
- 15ml/1tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2.5ml/½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1.5ml/¼ salt
- 1.5ml/¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.5ml/¼tsp ground black pepper
- oil, for deep – frying
For the mayonnaise
- 1egg yolk
- 10ml/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 15ml/1tbsp white wine vinegar
- 250ml/8fl oz /1cup olive or vegetable oil
- 15g/1/2oz/½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper
- Rinse the crayfish tails or prawns in cold water drain well and set aside in a cool place
- Mix together the eggs and wine in a small bowl.
- in a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal and/or flour, chives, garlic, thyme, Salt, cayenne and pepper Gradually whisk in the egg mixture, blending well. cover the batter and stand for 1 hour at room temperature.
- for the mayonnaise, combine the egg yolk mustard and vinegar in a mixing bowl and add salt and pepper to taste.add the oil in a thin stream, beating vigorously with a wire whisk when the mixture is thick and smooth, stir in the basil. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Heat 7.5cm/3in of oil a large frying pan or deep-fryer to a temperature of 180°C/350°F.Dip the seafood into the batter and fry in small batches for 2-3minuter, until golden brown.turn as necessary for even coloring. remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. serve hot, with the basil mayonnaise.
360 total views, 1 views today