spiced trout pilaff
- 225g/8oz/generous 1 cup basmati rice
- 40g/1½ oz/3 tbsp butter
- 2 onions. sliced into rings
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- bay leaves 2
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2.5cm/2in cinnamon sticks
- 5ml/1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 hot-smoked trout fillets, skinned
- 50g/20z1/2cup slivered
- almonds, toasted
- 50g/20z/scant1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 30ml/2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- mango chutney and poppadums, to serve
1.Wash the rice thoroughly in several changes of water and drain well. Set aside. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the onions until well browned, stirring frequently.
2. Add the garlic, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon and cumin seeds and stir-fry for 1 minute.
3. Stir in the rice, then add 600ml/ 1 pint /2½cups boiling water. Bring to the boil. Cover the pan tightly, reduce the heat and cook very gently for 20-25 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the riceis tender.
4. Flake the smoked trout and add to the pan with the almonds and raisins. Fork through gently. Cover the pan and allow the smoked trout to warm in the rice for a few minutes. Scatter over the parsley and serve with mango chutney and poppadums.
715 total views, 1 views today