Mediterranean vegetables, roasted in olive oil and flavored with thyme, are the basis for this Roasted vegetable soup.
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 11 /2 lb/675 g ripe tomatoes, skinned, cored, and halved
- 3 large yellow bell peppers, halved, cored, and seeded
- 3 Zucchini halved lengthwise
- 1small eggplant halved lengthwise
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 2onions, cut into eighths
- pinch of dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable bouillon
- ½ cup light cream
- salt and pepper
- shredded basil leaves, to garnish
Roasted vegetable soup
1. Brush a large shallow baking dish with olive oil. Laying them cut-side down, arrange the tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, and eggplant in one layer (use two dishes, if necessary). Tuck the garlic cloves and onion pieces into the gaps and drizzle the vegetables with olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the thyme.
2. Place in a preheated oven at 375°F/190°C and bake the vegetables, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes, or until they are soft and browned around the edges. Let cool, then scrape out the eggplant flesh and skin the bell peppers.
3. Working in batches, put the eggplant and bell pepper flesh, together with the zucchini, into a food processor and chop to the consistency of salsa: do not purée. Alternatively, place in a bowl and chop together with a knife.
4. Combine the bouillon and chopped vegetable mixture in a pan and simmer over medium heat for about 2o-30 minutes until all the vegetables are tender and the flavors have completely blended.
5. Stir the cream into the soup and simmer over low heat for about minutes, stirring occasionally, until hot. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Ladle the soup into warm bowls, garnish with basil, and serve.
645 total views, 1 views today