Cooked on festive occasions especially for weddings recipe for mutton biryani is among the most popular dishes in pakistan. The meat can be cooked in advance and added to the rice on the day of the party.
SERVE S 4
- ²⁄³ cup milk
- 1 tsp saffron
- 5 tbsp ghee
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2¼ lbs/1 kg lean mutton , cubed
- 7 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root, chopped finely
- 1½tsp crushed fresh garlic
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2½Cups water
- 2 ½ cups basmati rice
- 2 tsp black cumin seeds
- 3 cardamoms
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 fresh green chiles
- ¼ bunch fresh cilantro
1. Boil the milk in a pan with the saffron and set aside. Heat the ghee in a pan and fry the onions until golden. Remove half of the onions and ghee from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
2. Combine the meat, yogurt, gingerroot, garlic, garam masala, 1 tsp salt, and turmeric in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Return the pan with the ghee and onions to the heat, add the meatmixture. stir for about 3 minutes, and add the water. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check to see whether the meat is tender: if
not, add 2/3 cup water and cook for 15 minutes.Once all the water has evaporated, stir-fry for about 2 minutes and set aside.
4.Meanwhile, place the rice in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, cardamoms, salt, and enough water for cooking, and cook over medium heat until the rice is half-cooked. Drain. Remove half of the rice and place in a bowl.
5. Spoon the meat mixture on top of the rice in the pan. Add half each of the saffron mixture, lemon juice, chiles, and cilantro. Add the other half of the rice, saffron, lemon juice, chiles, and cilantro. Cover and cook over low heat
for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Stir well and serve hot.
5,522 total views, 3 views today