It’s worth making your own burgers to cut down on fat- in these the meat is extended with mushrooms for extra
fiber pan fried portobello mushroom burger
Preparation time 14 minutes
Cooking time 25-30 minutes
- 10 ounces (2½ cups) small mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-pound lean ground beef
- 2 cup fresh whole-wheat
- bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- all-purpose flour, for shaping
- salt and ground black pepper
1. Place the mushrooms and onion in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add the beef, bread crumbs, herbs and tomato paste. Season. Process until the mixture binds together but still has some texture.
2. Divide the mixture into 8-10 pieces, then press into patties using lightly floured hands.
3. Cook the burgers in a nonstick frying pan or under a hot broiler for 12-15 minutes, turning once until evenly cooked. Serve with relish and lettuce, in hamburger or pita bread.
The mixture is soft, so handle carefully and use a spatula for turning to keep the burgers from breaking during cooking.
1,281 total views, 1 views today