This is a good way to use up leftover rice. Use fresh or canned sweet pink grapefruit for an interesting alternative to the orange.
- olive oil 1 tbsp
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb/450 g skinless lean turkey (such as fillet), Cut into thin strips
- 1¼ cups unsweetened orange juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1large zucchini, diced
- 1 large orange
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- salt and pepper
- tomato and onion salad, to serve
- 9-10 pitted black olives in brine, drained
- and quartered
- shredded basil leaves
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the onion and turkey stirring, for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned.
2. Pour in the orange juice and add the bay leaf and seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to a boil and cook the broccoli florets, covered, for 2 minutes. Add the diced zucchini, then bring back to a boil. Cover and cook for another 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4.using a sharp knife, peel off the skin and white pith from the orange. Slice down the orange to make thin circular slices, then halve each slice.
5. Stir the broccoli, zucchini, rice, and orange slices into the turkey mixture. Gently mix together and season, then heat through for a further 3-4 minutes, or until the mixture is piping hot.
6. Transfer the turkey rice to warm serving plates and garnish with black olives and shredded basil leaves. Serve with fresh tomato and onion salad.
305 total views, 1 views today