A tasty way to make chicken Jamaican Hotch-potch joints go a long way, this hearty casserole, spiced with the warm, subtle flavor of ginger is a good choice for a party.
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- medium onion 1
- 1 lb 10 oz/750 g piece of squash or pumpkin, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- A 1-inch/2.5-cm piece of fresh ginger root, chopped finely
- 14 0z/4oo g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1¼ cups chicken bouillon
- 1¼cup split lentils washed
- garlic salt and cayenne pepper
- ¼cup canned corn crusty bread, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and sauté the chicken joints until golden, turning frequently.
2. Using a sharp knife, peel and slice the onion, peel and dice the squash or pumpkin, and seed and slice the bell pepper.
3. Drain any excess fat from the pan and add the prepared onion, pumpkin, and bell pepper. Gently sauté for a few minutes until lightly browned. Add the chopped gingerroot, tomatoes, chicken bouillon, and lentils. Season lightly with garlic salt and cayenne pepper.
4. cover the casserole and place in a preheated oven, 375°F/ 19o°c, for about 1 hour, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken juices run clear if pierced with a skewer.
5. Add the drained corn and cook for a further 5 minutes. Season to taste and serve with crusty bread.
if squash or pumpkin is not available, rutabaga makes a good substitute.
286 total views, 2 views today