This spicy tomato and red Chilli pepper relish will keep for at least a week in the fridge. Serve it with bangers and burgers in fresh white baps with a crisp salad.
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper, seeded
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- chili flakes 1 Tsp
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¹⁄³ cup light muscovado sugar
- 5 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
1. Skewer each of the tomatoes in turn on a metal fork and hold in a gas flame for 1-2 minutes, turning until the skin splits and wrinkles. Slip off the skins, then roughly chop the tomatoes.
2. Roughly chop the onion, red pepper and garlic. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic.
3. Cook gently for 5-8 minutes, until the pepper is softened. Add the chopped tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes release their juices.
4. Stir in the cinnamon, chili flakes, ginger, salt, pepper, sugar, and vinegar. Bring gently to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
5. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until the mixture is pulpy. Stir in the basil leaves and check the seasoning.
6. Allow the relish to cool completely, then transfer it to a glass jam jar or a plastic container with a tightly fitting lid. Store, covered, in the fridge.
This relish thinkers slightly on cooling so don’t worry if the mixture seems a little wet at the end of step 5.
1,171 total views, 1 views today