All the chicken pepperonata sunshine colors and flavors of Italy are combined in this easy and economical dish
8 chicken thighs
whole-wheat flour 2 tbsp
olive oil 2 tbsp
1small onion, sliced thinly
1garlic clove, crushed
red bell pepper 1 large, seeded and sliced thinly
yellow bell pepper 1 large, seeded and sliced thinly
green bell pepper 1 large.seeded and sliced thinly
14 0z/40o g canned chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
salt and pepper
fresh oregano, to garnish
crusty whole-wheat bread, to serve
1. Remove the skin from the chicken thighs and toss the meat in the flour
2. Heat the oil in a wide skillet and fry the chicken over medium heat until sealed and lightly browned, then remove from the skillet.
3. Add the onion to the skillet, lower the heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until softened, but not browned. Add the garlic, bell pepper slices, tomatoes, and oregano, then bring to a boil, stirring.
4. Arrange the chicken on top of the vegetables, season to taste with salt and pepper then cover the pan tightly, and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked and tender.
5. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Spoon the vegetables onto a warmed serving platter and top with the chicken. Garnish with fresh oregano and serve immediately with fresh. crusty whole-wheat bread.