In this Beef and potato goulash recipe, the potatoes are actually cooked in the goulash. For a change, you may prefer to substitute small, scrubbed new potatoes.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb 10 oz/750 g lean stewing steak
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 14 0z/ 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 21/2 cups beef bouillon
- 1 lb/45og potato, cut into large chunks
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp low-fat plain yogurt
- chopped fresh parsley
Beef and potato goulash
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until softened.
2. Cut the steak into chunks, add to the pan, and cook over high heat for about 3minutes until browned all over.
3.lower the heat to medium and stir in the paprika, Add the tomatoes. tomato paste, bell pepper. and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
4. Pour in the beef bouillon. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer gently for about 1½ hours until the meat is cooked through and tender.
5. Add the potatoes, cover, and cook for another 20-30 minutes until tender.
6. Blend t the cornstarch with a little water and add to the pan, stirring until thickened and blended. Cook for 1 minute, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with the yogurt, sprinkle over the paprika and chopped fresh parsley and serve immediately.
434 total views, 1 views today